News — July 22, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Chris Brown barred from leaving the Philippines over NYE concert row

by

American hip-hop star Chris Brown has been barred from leaving the Philippines because of a contract dispute over his non-appearance at a New Years Eve performance at the end of 2014. chris-brown-philippines

 

According to Yahoo! Brown was preparing to depart Manila’s international airport on a chartered private jet on his way to Hong Kong when he was stopped by the Philippine Department of Justice. The 25 year old Grammy winning R&B artist performed in Manila on Tuesday as planned but an order was issued on Tuesday night to prevent the singer from leaving the country.

 

An influential Christian group, Iglesia ni Crist (Church of Christ), have said that Brown should be compelled to pay back money that the promoters say was owed to them after he failed to appear at a concert appearance last New Years Eve. Brown claimed that he could not fly to the Philippines as planned because he had lost his passport but kept his appearance fee.

 

In a letter to the Justice department, chief operating officer of Iglesia ni Christo, Gilcerio Santos wrote, “we would appreciate any assistance you can provide to us… (against) producers and talents who employ such fraudulent schemes to obtain money from legitimate businesses in the country,”

 

The Bureau of Immigration said Brown and his promoter John Michael Pio Roda were both subject to an immigration lookout bulletin, but they could seek a clearance certificate that could allow them to leave if the Department of Justice consented. Justice department officials say the prosecutors need to study the Iglesia complaint to determine if there is any basis to file criminal charges against Brown and his promoter.

 

Brown was barred from entering Canada hours before his scheduled performance  earlier this year on the back of previous criminal charges.