News — August 7, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Chris Brown’s Canadian promoter denies defrauding Philippine sect

by

The Canadian promoter representing Chris Brown has denied defrauding an influential Philippine religious sect in a case that threatened to derail the American pop star’s world tour, lawyers for Brown said Friday.

chris-brown-manilla

The 26 year old hip hop star fond himself in hot water last month when the immigration bureau prevented Brown from leaving the country in regards to a concert row with the Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ). After three days, Brown was allowed to leave the country but his Canadian promoter for the tour, Michael Pio Roda, was arrested. Pio Roda has denied that he and Brown received one million dollars for a December 31 concert hosted by the sect which the hip hop star never turned up to, his lawyers said in a statement to AFP.

“To hold Mr. Pio Roda accountable for the entire one million dollars… is not only without legal or factual basis but is a travesty of justice and a continued violation of human rights,” the statement continued.

 

Iglesia-linked local concert producers Maligaya Development Corp have requested that criminal fraud charges are placed against Brown and Roda for failing to show up at the concert even though they had been advanced their million-dollar fee. Brown said that the reason he was unable to attend the concert was because he’d lost his passport. Currently Philippine prosecutors are studying the fraud complaint to determine if criminal charges will be filed in court.

 

 

The tattooed star spent three days in a hotel in Manila, posting increasingly surreal videos where he break-danced and got down on his knees, begging the authorities to allow him to leave and resume his world tour.

 

Pio Roda’s lawyers have claimed that he received just $45,000 (S$62,380) from Maligaya. He and Brown were advanced another $578,750 from another company involved in Brown’s show, J Williams Management, the statement reflected. However, there was already agreement between the parties that this will be repaid under a “compromise” signed last month before Brown’s Manila concert, it added. “Mr. Pio Roda’s Gestapo-like arrest and detention beginning 23rd July 2015 and the filing of a one-million-dollar criminal complaint is a shocking development, if not a reflection of bad faith in breach of the terms of the compromise agreement,” it said.

 

Source: The Straights Times